What is a Postnatal Doula Package?
A Postnatal Doula Package offers new parents the opportunity to know that they will receive full support from an experienced and trained doula both late on in their pregnancy and also in the early weeks and days of parenting. It is hard to know what to expect from labour and birth and the immediate postpartum. Will you be physically and emotionally well? Will there have been circumstances in the birth that affect my capacity to parent the way I want or will there be circumstances surrounding the birth that affect me as a parent or my baby(ies) which puts more pressure on the early days of parenting. This packages ensures that new parents will be supported in their own journey, in their mental emotional and physical recovery from birth, they will be fully supported and informed in the early days of parenting and also they will have someone they can rely on for evidenced based information.
A Postnatal Doula Package is ideal for parents who already know that they will be having a planned c birth or for parents who already know that they will not have familial support in Dublin after their baby is born. A postnatal doula package is also very helpful for those parents who are expecting their second baby and who know areas that they specifically need support with last time and who feel that they might need some support in becoming a parent of two.
Some people combine a Postnatal Doula Package with a Birth Doula Package
Postpartum Doula Services – DUBLIN DOULA SERVICES
Why me and what do I offer? I have supported hundreds of mothers in the postpartum period and am a regular contributor to conferences, talks and radio shows on supporting yourself and your baby following birth. I am also one of the Journal.ie s parenting experts.
I am also a breastfeeding counsellor and have been for the last fifteen years. I represent breastfeeding women at local regional and national level ensuring that breastfeeding is protected and that women receive adequate support from their health care professionals and their wider communities during this time. In February 2017 I made the case for improved breastfeeding support at an oral submission to the Joint Health Committee at the Oireachtas. In 2019 I joined the team looking to re implement Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative in Ireland. I also work closely with the Department of Health the HSE and HIQA on ensuring that the experiences new mothers have are listened to and constantly improved.
My Postpartum Doula Package consists of:
INITIAL PHONE CONSULTATION
- Taking a full health and antenatal history
- Discussing your particular needs for postnatal care
- Discussing any issues that might affect breastfeeding or your perinatal mental health
- Discussing any referrals you might benefit from
- Discussing your model of care and any alternative postnatal options such as Early Transfer Home, Private Postnatal Midwifery Care or Lactation Consultant Support
ANTENATAL PHONE SUPPORT AND INFORMATION FROM 38 WEEKS UNTIL THE BIRTH OF YOUR BABY
- Information on antenatal queries and questions
- Information on induction
- Information on c birth
- Information on induction and proposed interventions
- Information on how interventions can affect postnatal life
- Information on how birth practices can affect breastfeeding
- Referrals for late antenatal care
A VISIT EVERY DAY AT HOME FOR THE FIRST FIVE DAYS AFTER YOUR BABY IS BORN. VISITS LAST FOR TWO HOURS EACH AND INCLUDE:
- Full breastfeeding support in your own home
- Information and support for self care after your baby is born
- Light housework and shopping to enable you to fully enjoy your baby moon
- Homeopathic care for you and your new baby
- Full referral service to mother and baby supports and networks near you for the next stage of your parenting
- Information on safe sleep for your baby, carrying your baby and going out with your baby.
- Information on nutrition to nourish yourself after your birth and to keep yourself healthy and well after giving birth and in early parenting.
- Evidenced based information on early baby care and development.
- Safe postnatal exercises for you based on postnatal yoga
- Plus much more . . . . .
The charge for this service is €400 It is payable in two installments. €200 is payable at 10 weeks before your due date and the remaining €200 payable at 6 weeks before your due date. If you book after 34 weeks the balance is due at the time of booking.
Visits may be on five consecutive days or five visits over a week (day 1,2,3, 5, 7). Visits may be taken within two weeks if you are receiving Early Transfer Home visits or Home Birth Midwifery Team visits.
Please note the first payment of €200 is non refundable and secures your slot. The second installment is fully refundable up until 38 weeks. No refunds are available after 38 weeks.
Transport costs per visit €15 – €25 per visit extra depending on where you live.
City Centre €15
North side D1, 3, South Side D2, 4, Ranelgh, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Booterstown,
Outer Central €20
North Side D5, D7, 9, 11, 13, Cabra, Raheny, Clontarf South Side Blackrock, D8, 10, 12, 14, 16, Harold’s Cross, Milltown, Terenure, Templeogue, Stillorgan, Leopardstown Balinteer, Dundrum, Sandyford, Dun Laoghoire. Stepaside, Monkstown, Glenageary, Foxrock.
Greater Dublin Area €25
North Side D15, Malahide, Sutton, Howth South Side: D18, Rathfarnham, Shankhill, Bray, Killiney, Sallynoggin, Greystones West Side: D24, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Firhouse, Blanchardstown, Saggart, Dalky.
Sandymount: No travel costs if within walking distance