Birth Doula Services in Dublin
What makes my birth doula service different from other doulas?
1. Experience: I have 20 years experience of preparing parents for childbirth, and working as a doula in Ireland. I have worked with over 120 couples and have attended births at all of the Dublin maternity hospitals and also many home births
2. Evidence: I am a researcher by training (with a Masters and a PhD) and am an expert on maternity care policies in Ireland having worked on the formulation of national policies and strategies including in the Oireachtas, at HIQA and at the Department of Health and Children. I regularly lecture in TCD and UCD to Undergraduate Midwifery students and also to Masters Courses in Midwifery. I make regular presentations at national and international birth conferences on maternity care policy and research in Ireland. I Chair the National Service User Advocacy Forum that advise the HSE on what women girls and pregnant people need in our Maternity Services and I currently sit on the HIQA Steering Board of the national maternity bereavement experience survey and I sat on the National Maternity Experience Survey. I was the service user representative on the National Steering Group of the National Maternity Strategy which was published in 2016. I also sit on the National Steering Group for defining a new Postnatal Record for all new mothers in Ireland and on the new Baby Feeding Friendly Standards Group for Ireland. In 2017 I worked alongside mental health professionals on the Specialist Perinatal Perinatal Mental Health Strategy for Ireland to support the mental health of all those using the maternity services.
3. Antenatal preparation: I am a trained certified accredited antenatal teacher and doula with Birthing From Within and have been working with couples since 2003
4. Breastfeeding: I am an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. I have been a breastfeeding counsellor for 17 years and have supported many thousands of families in their breastfeeding journey. I am a frequent public speaker on breastfeeding both in the media and at conferences. I sit on the breastfeeding committee in the National Maternity Hospital and I am also an adviser on to the National Breastfeeding Coordinator on what all mothers need postpartum; whether breastfeeding or not. I am a member of the Association of Lactation Consultants of Ireland.
5. Complimentary medicine: I am a licensed registered homeopath and offer immediate homeopathic care and all remedies during your labour and afterwards. I am a member of the Irish Society of Homeopaths.
6. Photography: I offer a birth photography service
7. Placenta Encapsulation: I am an accredited placenta encapsulator with the Irish Placenta Association since 2014 and offer a wide range of placenta remedies.
8. Advocacy/ I work with a variety of charities to advocate for improved maternity care in Ireland and I know how to make sure your voice is heard both before during and after you give birth. All my advocacy work is given on a voluntary basis. I volunteer with AIMS Ireland, La Leche League, The Home Birth Association The Baby Feeding Law Group, The Irish Doula Directory amongst others.
9. I am a doula trainer. I have been training doulas in Ireland since 2014 and so am aware of what doulas need to know, how they need to behave and what they need to do to ensure that their clients have thee best possible experience. In 2019 I hosted the Doula Training Course at the Elbowroom and in from 2021 I have hosted the Comprehensive Doula Training at Insight Matters Capel St. Dublin. This was the first Doula Training of its kind in Ireland and drew on my 20 years working as a doula and advocate in the Irish Maternity System and also on my attendance at over 200 births in Dublin. To join the 2024 / 2025 Training click here
Different doula packages
Why do I have different packages? Well different people are looking for different things! A lot of my clients are actually second or third time parents who know what they are entering into within the Irish maternity services and they really value having someone with a lot of experience with them. They may have already taken a lot of antenatal classes and so do not need as much antenatal preparation as a first time parent would. By contrast, some mothers know that they want a lot of antenatal support and others know that they will need a lot of postnatal support after their baby is born. In order to try and meet all these different needs I have designed four packages; the basic doula package with two antenatal and one postnatal sessions, a standard doula package which focuses more on antenatal education and another which focuses more on postnatal care after the baby is born and finally a deluxe package which offers both extensive antenatal education and support and also extensive postnatal support. Hopefully you will find something to suit your needs.
I offer a range of birth doula services, designed to support parents in whichever way suits them best. My services include:
- Full birth doula service for first time parents €2,500 – €2,800
- Full birth doula service for mothers birthing again €1,750 – €2,800
- Full birth doula service for parents planning a VBAC €2,500 – €2,800
- Full Birth doula and Postnatal service for parents planning a Caesarean Birth €2,500
- Placenta encapsulation starting at €225
- Lactation Consultant Services starting at €175
For more information and to see if we could work well together drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Transport costs per visit on all packages €15 – €25 per visit extra depending on where you live.
North side D1, 3, South Side D2, 4, Ranelgh, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Booterstown,
Outer Central €20
North Side D5, D7, 9, 11, 13, Cabra, Raheny, Clontarf South Side Blackrock, D8, 10, 12, 14, 16, Harold’s Cross, Milltown, Terenure, Templeogue, Stillorgan, Leopardstown Balinteer, Dundrum, Sandyford, Dun Laoghoire. Stepaside, Monkstown, Glenageary, Foxrock.
Greater Dublin Area €25
North Side D15, Malahide, Sutton, Howth South Side: D18, Rathfarnham, Shankhill, Bray, Killiney, Sallynoggin, Greystones West Side: D24, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Firhouse, Blanchardstown, Saggart, Dalky.
Sandymount: No travel costs if within walking distance