What is a Postnatal Doula Package?
A Postnatal Doula Package offers new parents the opportunity to know that they will receive full support from an experienced certified trained doula and international Board Certified Lactation Consultant both late on in their pregnancy and also in the early weeks and days of parenting.
It is hard to know what to expect from labour and birth and the immediate postpartum. Having someone whom you can trust and who can support you throughout your journey can enable you to face into early parenting with confidence and piece of mind.
Some of the questions people ask include: Will I be physically and emotionally well? Will there have been circumstances in the birth that affect my capacity to parent the way I want? How does breastfeeding work? What can I expect surrounding my baby’s sleep? How can I carry my baby safely? What if my birth doesn’t go the way I want? What foods should I be eating? How can I make more milk?
I can support an help you with all of these questions. Find out more here:
This packages ensures that new parents will be supported in their own journey, in their mental emotional and physical recovery from birth, they will be fully supported and informed in the early days of parenting and also they will have someone they can rely on for evidenced based information. It will also ensure that they have the best breastfeeding support available with their own IBCLC (Lactation Consultant) available to answer their questions during the duration of the package including their immediate questions following birth whilst in hospital.
A Postnatal Doula Package is ideal for parents who already know that they will be having a planned c birth or for parents who already know that they will not have familial support in Dublin after their baby is born. A postnatal doula package is also very helpful for those parents who are expecting their second baby and who can identify areas that they feel they specifically need support with based on their previous experience such as lactation support.
Some people combine a Postnatal Doula Package with a Birth Doula Package
Why me and what do I offer?
I am a recognised expert supporting new mothers both emotionally and physically in the postpartum period. I have supported hundreds of mothers and am a regular contributor to conferences, talks and radio shows on supporting yourself and your baby following birth. I am also one of the Journal.ie s parenting experts and I am frequently on the radio and in the media discussing people’s experiences of parenting and giving birth.
I am also an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant and a breastfeeding counsellor and have been for the last fifteen years. I represent breastfeeding women at local regional and national level ensuring that breastfeeding is protected and that women receive adequate support from their health care professionals and their wider communities during this time. In February 2017 I made the case for improved breastfeeding support at an oral submission to the Joint Health Committee at the Oireachtas. In 2019 I joined the team looking to re implement Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative in Ireland. I also work closely with the Department of Health the HSE and HIQA on ensuring that the experiences new mothers have are listened to and constantly improved. In 2020 I represented service users in the design, implementation and roll out of the HIQA National Maternity Experience Survey which focused heavily on the postnatal and breastfeeding experience people have in Ireland. The results of the survey are available here
My Postpartum Doula Package offers a saving of €150 on postnatal visits and bonus consultations worth €225. The package consists of:
INITIAL PHONE CONSULTATION
- Taking a full health and antenatal history
- Discussing your particular needs for postnatal care
- Discussing any issues that might affect breastfeeding or your perinatal mental health
- Discussing any referrals you might benefit from
- Discussing your model of care and any alternative postnatal options such as Early Transfer Home, Private Postnatal Midwifery Care or Lactation Consultant Support
ANTENATAL PHONE CHECK IN AVAILABLE IN LATE PREGNANCY (38 – 42 WEEKS)
May include discussion of any or all of the following depending on your particular circumstances
- Information on late pregnancy antenatal queries and questions
- Information on c birth
- Information on induction and any proposed interventions
- Information on how interventions can affect postnatal life
- Information on how birth practices can affect breastfeeding
- Referrals for late antenatal care
- Preparing for breastfeeding
A VISIT EVERY DAY AT HOME FOR THE FIRST FIVE DAYS AFTER YOUR BABY IS BORN. VISITS LAST FOR TWO HOURS EACH AND INCLUDE:
- Full IBCLC breastfeeding support in your own home
- Information and support for self care after your baby is born
- Full birth story listening and debrief service
- Homeopathic care for you and your new baby
- Full referral service to mother and baby supports and networks near you for the next stage of your parenting
- Information on safe sleep for your baby, carrying your baby and going out with your baby.
- Information on nutrition to nourish yourself after your birth and to keep yourself healthy and well after giving birth and in early parenting.
- Evidenced based information on early baby care and development.
- Safe postnatal exercises for you based on postnatal yoga
- Q and A on any aspect of early parenting for you and your partner if you have one
- Light housework and shopping to enable you to fully enjoy your baby moon
- Plus much more . . . . .
The charge for this service is €600 It is payable in two installments. €400 is payable at 10 weeks before your due date and the remaining €200 payable at 6 weeks before your due date. If you book after 34 weeks the balance is due at the time of booking.
Visits may be on five consecutive days or five visits over a week (day 1,2,3, 5, 7). Visits may be taken within two weeks if you are receiving Early Transfer Home visits or Home Birth Midwifery Team visits.
Please note the first payment of €400 is non refundable and secures your slot. The second installment is fully refundable up until 38 weeks. No refunds are available after 38 weeks.
Transport costs per visit €15 – €25 per visit extra depending on where you live.
City Centre €15
North side D1, 3, South Side D2, 4, Ranelgh, Ballsbridge, Donnybrook, Booterstown,
Outer Central €20
North Side D5, D7, 9, 11, 13, Cabra, Raheny, Clontarf South Side Blackrock, D8, 10, 12, 14, 16, Harold’s Cross, Milltown, Terenure, Templeogue, Stillorgan, Leopardstown Balinteer, Dundrum, Sandyford, Dun Laoghoire. Stepaside, Monkstown, Glenageary, Foxrock.
Greater Dublin Area €25
North Side D15, Malahide, Sutton, Howth South Side: D18, Rathfarnham, Shankhill, Bray, Killiney, Sallynoggin, Greystones West Side: D24, Tallaght, Clondalkin, Firhouse, Blanchardstown, Saggart, Dalky.
Sandymount: No travel costs if within walking distance