ARE YOU A DOULA OR DO YOU WORK WITH POSTNATAL PEOPLE?
WOULD YOU LIKE TO ENHANCE YOUR SKILLS IN SUPPORTING BREASTFEEDING/CHESTFEEDING?
We all want our clients to be able to fulfil their breastfeeding/chestfeeding goals right? But sometimes their journeys are not as simple as we all thought they would be.
Would you like to learn the skills and acquire the knowledge you need as a doula to fully support your client in their breastfeeding journeys?
Many doulas learn about breastfeeding/chestfeeding as a result of their own breastfeeding journeys, or because they have volunteered as a breastfeeding counsellor, but often that is not enough to fully support our clients who may have different breastfeeding/chestfeeding goals and may be incorporating mixed or combination feeding into their expectations.
What makes this course unique is that it is specifically designed for doulas, rather then being a general course about breastfeeding/chestfeeding.
This course focuses specifically on the primary breastfeeding/chestfeeding issues that doula clients will encounter during their maternity care journey and it offers clear cut solutions and responses that doulas can offer.
This course will also enable you to
- identify what you as a doula can support and what needs specialist referral back to the PHN, a Lactation Consultant or the Baby Clinic at the Maternity Hospital.
- identify conditions that might make breastfeeding/chestfeeding more challenging for your client, even before they give birth, so that you can enable your clients to feel prepared and empowered
- offer you clear solution focused responses to common breastfeeding/chestfeeding challenges faced by new mothers and parents.
- support your client with confidence in their breastfeeding or chestfeeding journey.
A BIT ABOUT ME:
I am an IBCLC and have had 20 years experience in supporting breastfeeding mothers. I have also breastfed all my children and listened to thousands of breastfeeding stories. I have supported many hundreds of families in their breastfeeding journeys as a postnatal doula and doula and I love lecturing and teaching. Before I became a breastfeeding and maternity care advocate I lectured at many universities including the University of Dublin and the University of Liverpool and I enjoy putting together a great package of skill based modules that I hope you will both benefit from and enjoy.
NEXT COURSE TBA. PLAYBACK PACKAGE AVAILABLE
Understanding breastfeeding and chestfeeding
- Breastfeeding the why. Human milk and the act of breastfeeding or chestfeeding
- Breastfeeding the how. Anatomy, the function, the interplay of hormones tissues and nerves and lactogenesis I II and III
- Breastfeeding in Ireland; figures, facts, supports, referrals, movers and shakers
- How people are “ taught” to breastfeed in Ireland and by whom.
- Breastfeeding basics – the checklist
- The effects of birthing culture in Ireland on breastfeeding.
- Embracing diversity in breastfeeding
Working with breastfeeding and chestfeeding scenarios
- The sleepy baby that won’t feed
- The baby who won’t latch
- The fussy baby that won’t stop feeding
- The mother with discomfort and pain in the nipples
- The mother with discomfort and pain in the breasts
- The mother who is pumping and wants to move to breastfeeding
- The mother who is supplementing and wants to move to exclusive breastfeeding
- The mother who doesn’t seem to have much milk
- The baby with slow weight gain
- The mother who wants to make more milk
COURSE LOCATION AND DELIVERY
This course will run in person and be live streamed online. It will also be available on playback. The in person location is Insight Matters in Capel Street Dublin 1.
WHAT PEOPLE SAY ABOUT MY TRAININGS
“I’m so grateful for finding your course. Can’t wait for the postpartum lessons” Michelle Buckley https://www.instagram.com/michellebuckley_doula/
“Wonderful weekend to be apart of and such a beautiful energetic bunch of Doulas, so so grateful Thankyou” Jen https://www.instagram.com/the_holistic_doula_cork/
“Can highly recommend this course with Kyrsia so informative and realistic” Gillian https://www.instagram.com/studio3naas/