Professional Comprehensive Doula Training as featured in the Irish Examiner
Registrations for 2023 – 2024 are now OPEN
Would you like to become a doula?
Are you drawn to the amazing process of giving birth?
Have you an interest in supporting people?
Are you an advocate?
Would you like to enable people to recognise their true potential in one of the most transformative processes we as human beings can go through?
If you answered yes to any of those questions then maybe doula training is for you?
People who are drawn to becoming a doula include
- Pregnancy yoga teachers
- Antenatal educators
- Complementary health worker
- Mainstream health worker
- Lactation Consultants
- Maternity advocates
- People working with marginalised communities
- Social workers
- and anyone who wants to support mothers and babies
Why do your Doula Training with me?
This course draws on my extensive experience working as a doula in Dublin since 2003, on my knowledge as a researcher and antenatal teacher and my in-depth understanding of the maternity care services in Ireland as one of its leading advocates and doula trainers. In addition, I bring my IBCLC expertise and my experience of supporting thousands of families in the postnatal period.
My experience, my training and my expertise combined means I truly believe that this is the best and most comprehensive doula course available in Ireland today
In addition to being an established doula I also have a huge background in education and research. I was an Assistant Professor at Trinity College Dublin prior to having my first child and so am very familiar with designing and evaluating high quality course and learning materials
Will I be able to work as a doula after the course?
Yes. This is a blended course of both in-person and online teaching, preparing you fully to work within the Irish Maternity Care setting, both with and without covid restrictions; in hospital and in home birth settings. All trainings will be fully recorded.
What will I learn?
Here are some of the modules you will receive and discover in our training program:
- Maternity systems and models of care available in Ireland
- Birth Preferences.
- The process of pregnancy labour birth and the postpartum
- The endocrine system, the muscular system the respiratory system and the skeletal system during pregnancy labour and birth.
- Stages of Labour and Positions of the baby during pregnancy labour and birth.
- Common antenatal and intrapartum interventions and tests
- Maternity and human rights, informed consent and informed refusal
- Caesarean Birth
- Due dates
- Communication skills
- Trauma informed language
- Understanding diversity
- Understanding trauma
- Honouring the sacred in birth
- Finding your clients and antenatal appointments
- Client contracts, boundaries and payments
- Preparing you clients physically, mentally and emotionally
- Debriefing previous birth experiences
- Pain Coping Strategies
- Hands on doula support in all stages of labour and childbirth
- Early labour at home
- Active labour at home and in hospital
- Supporting your client physically emotionally and mentally during labour and birth
- Preparing a toolbox of support for labour and birth including homeopathy, rebozo work, positions, movement, aromatherapy
- Engaging with medical staff and understanding the boundaries of the scope of your practice
- Induction preparing for a medical induction, alternative methods of induction.
- Supporting VBAC
- Supporting clients with Twins
- Supporting caesarean birth
- Supporting waterbirth and labouring in water
- The Postnatal Body
- The Healthy Neonate
- Trauma sensitive approaches
- Supporting new identities
- Supporting a new family; other children and partners
- Supporting perinatal mental health
- Listening to the birth story
- Supporting a babymoon
- Postnatal care and support just after birth
- Care and support at home with a new baby
- Infant feeding; breastfeeding, breastmilk feeding combination feeding, triple feeding and commercial milk feeding
- Nourishing and feeding the new mother
- Complementary therapies and their approach to the postnatal
- Working with infant sleep
- Baby wearing and the use of slings
- Neonatal routines
- Postnatal Doula skill box
- Cultural diversity and institutional racism
- Supporting loss
- Your doula business.
This course is recognised by The Doula Association of Ireland for membership of the DAI
Please note that there are very limited spaces left on this course.
Number of in-person spaces: 8
(Offers the option of in-person or online attendance)
Number of online only spaces: 20
(Online attendance only)
Note: In-person spaces are allocated on a first come first served basis.
October 21st & 22nd 2023
November 18th & 19th 2023
December 9th & 10th 2023
February 10th & 11th 2024
March 23rd & 24th 2024
April 27th & 28th 2024
Prenatal and postnatal anatomy
Two hours on the physiology of pregnancy with the fantastic Melissa from TummyLove. Melissa is going to offer a detailed look at the physiology of the pregnant person’s respiratory, muscular, digestive, endocrine and skeletal system. Everything you need to know to support a healthy physical body during pregnancy and birth and enabling you to understand how the body changes during pregnancy labour and birth. This is especially useful for helping with positions of baby during early and active labour. Melissia is also offering a second bonus looking at the postnatal body and the new baby. These trainings with Melissa is usually worth €300.
Contact me to book your slot or to talk through any questions you have. Happy to chat through any queries, just drop me a line!
Your Doula Business
Delighted to announce that the fabulous Leemore from Holistic Nurture will be coming on board this course to facilitate a session on “Starting Your Doula Business”, Leemore runs her very successful wellness and doula business in Co Cork and she has lots of fabulous tips about ensuring that you are a a successful self employed doula after completing the training course. This training with Leemore is usually valued at €150
Cultural Diversity, Ethnic Minorities and Childbirth
We are going to be so lucky to have a THIRD BONUS with Lucy Peprah from South Dublin Partnership and AIMS Ireland doing a session on Understanding Cultural Diversity and the needs of Ethnic Minority People during pregnancy birth and the postpartum. This is a rare opportunity to look and appreciate the cultural diversity we have within our society and to understand differing expectations and cultural needs. This training alone is worth €150 and we will be having it on 6th February. So exciting!
My aim is to give this course in person as well as streaming it online. The course will be fully recorded and available for viewing online after each weekend. Participants may choose to take the course entirely online or in person, or a mixture of both. I will be offering the in-person part of this course at Insight Matters 106 Capel St Dublin 1
WANT TO FIND OUT MORE
Watch the information session recording here
Option 1: Standard Payment
Option 2: 7 month Payment Plan (available until 16th October 2023)
My last course sold out well before the course started. There are very limited places on this training, so if this is the path for you; grab all the bonuses and book now!
Drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to sign up for my free navigating induction e-book?
Terms and Conditions:
Course Progression: It is anticipated that this course will run in person with a live online zoom streamed option and full playbacks available.
Refunds: Please choose wisely. Once you have signed up for this course and made a commitment to it there are no refunds unless the course is cancelled (see below).
Cancellation: If the course is cancelled you will receive a full refund.